[visit-users] Getting Simulation Times

Miller, Mark C. miller86 at llnl.gov
Wed Jul 29 10:41:05 EDT 2015

Just a follow-up to visit-users to close this out.

This sequence of operations should work to query time info from all timesteps in a time series for *any* format reader VisIt supports. For example, for an exodus time series, we'd have. . .

db="foo*.exo database"
md=GetMetaData(db)
times=[]
for i in xrange(md.GetNumStates()):
    times.append(GetMetaData(db, i).GetTimes()[i]))
    CloseDatabase(db)

Note that this is forcing VisIt to close the database on each iteration. So, its *not* efficient. This is so VisIt will forget that its already seen metadata for the database and then causes it to re-acquire that metadata for each new time-state. For *MT* type databases, the close may not be needed but doesn't hurt either except in performance.

Hope its useful.

Mark