[visit-users] Some questions for a first time user not on the FAQs

Harrison, Cyrus D. harrison37 at llnl.gov
Mon Jul 27 15:10:54 EDT 2015

Hi Jesse,

Sorry for the delay - I was out of the office last week.  Here is where we can start:

It looks like you are creating a pseudocolor plot of a scalar field on a set of slices of your volume, and drawing the path of the streamlines from a vector field?

In VisIt you would use two plots to accomplish this:

Plot 1:

Add a “Pseudocolor" plot of the variable you want to plot.
Then add a “Three Slice” Operator.

Guessing a bit here:

If you need to create a derived quantity, you can use our Expression editor (Controls Menu->Expressions) to define something like:

my_expression = abs(log(field_name))

If the field you want to plot is the magnitude of the vector field:

my_expression = abs(log(magnitude(vector_field_name)))

Plot 2:
Add a “Streamline” plot of the vector field variable you want to trace.

You will need to edit the streamline plot attributes to select the proper seed points and enable tube rendering:

Following this path from our “example.silo” data set, you should see something like:

This should help get you started, let me know if you have questions.

-Cyrus