[visit-users] Running VisIt remotely with local cluster

Fragile, Chris FragileP at cofc.edu
Wed Jul 22 16:42:37 EDT 2015

On Jul 22, 2015, at 4:21 PM, Miller, Mark C. <miller86 at llnl.gov<mailto:miller86 at llnl.gov>> wrote:

Hi Chris,

Ok, for laughs let try it the other way too; 'Never' for "Use Scalable Rendering". Also, be sure you hit the apply button. Otherwise, your change doesn't take effect.

Still no effect.  The old Macs still render drawings; the new Macs won’t.

Next, Do you have -X in the SSH command for your host profile for the cluster? Go Options->Host Profiles, select the cluster profile and look at the 'SSH command' dialog box. By default, it just has 'ssh' there. Do you have 'ssh -X' there? If not, try it by checking the box to the left and then adding the -X. Hit apply and then try it. Try that on the new macs too.

I did not have -X in the profiles for the cluster.  I added it, and again no change in behavior for old or new Macs.  (And, yes, I made sure I was hitting the Apply button after all of these tests.)

Finally, are you running a VisIt you built from sources on the new macs or a binary you downloaded? The later thing I wanna try involves a change to some source code.

I am running the pre-built Mac executable in both cases (old and new Macs).  I even confirmed that re-downloading the 2.6.2 executable on my old Macs and running that still works, so the problem doesn’t appear to be with the executable itself.

Mark