[visit-users] VisIt memory usage scale with number cores?

Danny Sale dsale at uw.edu
Sat Jul 18 14:32:54 EDT 2015

hello VisIt enthusiasts,

I compiled VisIt 2.9.2 so I could run in parallel mode.  When I start VisIt
in parallel, like ./visit -np $nCPU, I notice that RAM usage scales with
number of processors.  Why does this occur?

I am trying to visualize a list of VTK files I converted from many OpenFOAM
time steps.  Here are a few measurements I take:

$nCPU    ~RAM usage (GiB)
-------------------------
 1   11
 2   16
 4   24
16   90

I was thinking that running in parallel mode would speed up the rendering
time?  I'm running on a shared-memory workstation (2 CPUs at 8 cores
each).  Can you advise how to speed up rendering time without excess RAM
usage?  thanks!

best,
Danny Sale
phd student, mechanical engineering
University of Washington, Seattle
Northwest National Marine Renewable Energy Center