[visit-users] Running VisIt remotely with local cluster

Harrison, Cyrus D. harrison37 at llnl.gov
Tue Jul 14 12:01:49 EDT 2015

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sending your logs. This is a bit puzzling.

>From the error message, it looks like the version you are using on your *server* does not have our software rendering built in.  If that is the case, I am not sure why any other client/server instance would work unless hardware rendering was enabled.

Do you know if you were using hardware rendering on your cluster? It isn’t a common option, but it does have to be explcility enabled, so if you didn’t do that in your host settings for your new clients that could be the difference.

For context:

We disable software rendering for some linux builds b/c the software rendering library has had conflicts with actually hardware GL druers on some linux systems.

As a next setup,  instead of setting your new client machines remote profiles from scratch, you can try copying the host profile settings from one of your working clients.

On your working client, you should be able to find a set of host-profile xml files in your ~/.visit/ directory (they may live under “hosts”)
Find one and try coping it to the ~/.visit on your new machines and see if that gives you a set of settings that work correctly.

-Cyrus