[visit-users] Running VisIt remotely with local cluster

Harrison, Cyrus D. harrison37 at llnl.gov
Tue Jul 14 10:01:31 EDT 2015

Hi Chris,
The message “the compute engine running on cluster.cs.cofc.edu has exited abnormally", is a nice way of sharing the fact VisIt's compute engine crashed.

Does this happen immediately after you try to draw a plot?

It looks like an engine launches, so the crash may not be related to networking.

I suggest enabling debug logs to help try to track down the source of the crash.

To do this for client/server,
Open the Host Profiles window
Select the launch profile you are using for your cluster.
Under “Additional Arguments” add “-debug 5”

(these names may have changed since 2.6.2, I pulled them from VisIt 2.9.2)

The next time you run, VisIt should generated a set of “engine_*.vlog” files in your home directory on the remote system.
The most verbose will include a “5” in the name. Take a look for anything obvious and feel free to sent it to me to look at.

-Cyrus