[visit-users] Running VisIt remotely with local cluster

Fragile, Chris FragileP at cofc.edu
Mon Jul 13 12:44:01 EDT 2015

For years I have been running VisIt successfully on our local cluster, including in client/server mode.  However, after upgrading to new local machines, I can no longer get this to work.  I can still run VisIt purely remotely (running entirely on our cluster with all the windows ported through X11), and I can still run in client/server mode on my old local machines.  The new machines, though, give me the following error message when visualizing data on the cluster (with the port number differing):

 The compute engine running on cluster.cs.cofc.edu has exited abnormally.

Shortly thereafter, the following occured...

VisIt could not find a compute engine to use for the plot on host cluster.cs.cofc.edu. VisIt will try to launch a compute engine on that host.

Shortly thereafter, the following occured...

Running: engine_ser2.6.2 -dir /usr/local/visit -psn_0_692393 -noloopback -sshtunneling -host localhost -port 12486

I assume I have missed a step in setting up VisIt on my new machines or missed some setting somewhere to let VisIt communicate between machines, but I don’t know what it is.  Does anyone have an idea to share or know of a way to diagnose this better?

My local machines (old & new) are all Macs.  I am running VisIt 2.6.2 because that is the latest version we have installed on our cluster.  To install VisIt on my new local machines I simply downloaded the Mac binary.  VisIt seems to work independently on the local machines.  I can generate data locally or copy it from the cluster and visualize it successfully.  I just can’t get the client/server connection to work.

Thanks,
Chris

P. Chris Fragile
Associate Professor