[visit-users] Projecting spherical slice on 2D planar

Yann Kempf yann.kempf at fmi.fi
Wed Jul 8 09:24:46 EDT 2015

Hi,

I would use a 2D binning for that. Choose e.g.
Pseudocolor > operators > DataBinning > 2D > <your mesh>
and then set e.g. the latitude/longitude variables you need. If you have
the radial variable you can even do a 3D binning and use one thin radial
bin instead of a slice.

Note (it took me a lot of time to figure out) that if you would like to
use a map projection operator later (to get a Mercator projection etc.)
you need to define your data ranges to be -180:180 and -90:90, nothing
else will do. I had a case where I used 3D cartesian data, defined the
spherical coordinates, did the 3D binning with only one bin in radial
direction, put a slice through that and put the whole thing through the
map projection operator.

I hope this helps,
Yann