[visit-users] Performance question

Yann Kempf yann.kempf at fmi.fi
Fri Jul 18 07:06:59 EDT 2014

Hi,

I am running VisIt 2.7.3 on a 64-bit Linux server with the kernel
release 2.6.18, compiled using
 > build_visit2_7_3 --console --thirdparty-path 3rdparty/ --parallel
--python --ccmio --cfitsio --cgns --gdal --hdf5 --netcdf --cmake --icet
--no-mesa --qt --silo --szip --vtk --makeflags '-j 6'
Maybe I should add that it is not a client-server install, only a
regular compilation on the server to which I ssx -X and where I run the
script with
 > visit -nowin -cli -s script.py
I attach a stripped down version of the script (using a single file
instead of extracting a new silo file at each loop iteration and not
setting any plot options) which still went down from 20 pngs/min to
3/min output speed in 2 hours before I stopped it.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need more info. Is this a similar
type of case than J.L. Simon's original post?

Best regards,
Yann