[visit-users] VisIt GUI crashing afer clicking "draw"

Fred Morris m3047 at m3047.net
Mon Jul 14 14:25:37 EDT 2014

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014, Daniel Hnatovic wrote:
> [...]
> Reading from the viewer's socket is currently not allowed!
> [...]
> FYI, I am running VisIt on a cluster with Linux Red Hat 6 installed. I am
> accessing the cluster from my Windows 7 laptop using MobaXTerm. I installed
> Ubuntu on my laptop and accessed the cluster via Terminal, and the same
> error occurred.

Are you attempting to launch the (X-based) VisIt GUI remotely on your
laptop? Can you run any other X programs this way?

On Linux you'd have to set xhost+ or use ssh -X. Firewalls may also block
the X display ports. Make sure the DISPLAY environment variable is
correctly set on the client (Linux box which is actually running the VisIt
program.. for those unfamiliar with X the box showing the GUI is the
"GUI server").

I confess I've never tried to launch the VisIt GUI remotely (only sims).

--

Fred Morris