[visit-users] Local rendering, and how do I know it's using the graphics card? (and other silly questions)

Brugger, Eric brugger1 at llnl.gov
Wed Jul 9 11:18:44 EDT 2014

Hi Fred,

If you are running completely locally you should be using the graphics card. You can change the rendering options with the "Rendering" window, which can be brought up by going to "Options->Rendering". You would need to go to the "Advanced" tab and change "Use scalable rendering" to "Always" to force it to always render in software. If you changed it to "Never" then it would always use the graphics card. You could also change the "Use display lists" on the "Basic" tab and see if that makes a difference. It might be useful to run VisIt with "-debug 5" and look at the viewer.5.vlog file and see what it says about the graphics system.

HTH,

Eric