[visit-users] Building visit on mac ox 10.5

Cyrus Harrison cyglor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 10:42:12 EST 2010


Scott,
We build from source (Python-2.6.4.tgz) don't typically install python
to a standard system location so there should be no conflicts.

-Cyrus

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 10:00 PM, Scott Baden <baden at cs.ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Did you have any conflicts with other software?
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/MacPython/Leopard
> there may be conflicts between MacPython installations and Mac OS X
> development tools, such as problems building PyObjC applications in Xcode.
> Scott
> On Mar 8, 2010, at 9:50 PM, Cyrus Harrison wrote:
>
> Hi Scott,
> We are using Python 2.6.4 on OSX for our trunk development.
> -Cyrus
>
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Scott Baden <baden at cs.ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi, I had to download cmake-2.8.0.tar.gz manually. There was no version of
>
> cmake-2.8.0.tar.gz availble
>
> from the server.
>
> Checking for files . . .
>
> Checking for cmake-2.8.0
>
> Downloading cmake-2.8.0.tar.gz . . .
>
> Download attempt failed:
>
> https://wci.llnl.gov/codes/visit/3rd_party/cmake-2.8.0.tar.gz
>
> Download attempt failed:
>
> https://wci.llnl.gov/codes/visit/3rd_party/cmake-2.8.0.tar.gz
>
> Failed to download cmake-2.8.0.tar.gz
>
>
> Now I have another problem of the same sort, this time with python.
>
> python-2.5
>
> Downloading Python-2.5.tgz . . .
>
> Download succeeded:
>
> https://wci.llnl.gov/codes/visit/3rd_party/Python-2.5.tgz
>
> ...
>
> creating Modules/Setup
>
> creating Modules/Setup.local
>
> creating Makefile
>
> gcc -c -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp
>
> -mno-fused-madd -DNDEBUG -O2 -fno-common -fexceptions  -I. -I./Include
>
> -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Modules/python.o ./Modules/python.c
>
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-long-double"
>
> make: *** [Modules/python.o] Error 1
>
> Which version of python should I download?
>
> Scott
>
> On Mar 8, 2010, at 10:17 AM, Brad Whitlock wrote:
>
> I assume you were using build_visit to start going through the VisIt build
>
> process. The build_visit script tries to build cmake so it can later build
>
> VTK. I see no reference to -Wno-long-double in build_visit's directions to
>
> build cmake so the problem must be in cmake's own build process. So, I'd
>
> recommend trying to use a newer cmake (2.8.0) on your system before
>
> continuing with the VisIt build process. This can be accomplished by
>
> downloading newer cmake sources and changing the following variables in
>
> build_visit to use 2.8.0 in place of 2.4.5:
>
> export CMAKE_FILE=${CMAKE_FILE:-"cmake-2.4.5.tar.gz"}
>
> export CMAKE_VERSION=${CMAKE_VERSION:-"2.4.5"}
>
> export CMAKE_BUILD_DIR=${CMAKE_BUILD_DIR:-"cmake-2.4.5"}
>
> In response to your gcc question, we use what we have. My Mac happens to
>
> have gcc 4.0.1 and it is out of my control. On Linux, VisIt's trunk has been
>
> tested and known to work with gcc versions all the way up to gcc 4.4.
>
> Brad
>
> I encountered a build error, in Cmake,
>
> The trouble is that the gcc command line option "-Wno-long-double"
>
> is no longer accepted by gcc. I'm using 4.2.1 on MacOS 10.5 (see below)
>
> I see that you support only up to v. 4.0.1
>
> Do you have plans to support more recent versions of gcc?
>
> Scott Baden
>
> ----
>
>
>
> gcc -v
>
> Using built-in specs.
>
> Target: i686-apple-darwin9
>
> Configured with: /var/tmp/gcc_42/gcc_42-5566~1/src/configure
>
> --disable-checking --enable-werror --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man
>
> --enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++
>
> --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/$/-4.2/ --with-slibdir=/usr/lib
>
> --build=i686-apple-darwin9 --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.0.0
>
> --host=i686-apple-darwin9 --target=i686-apple-darwin9
>
> Thread model: posix
>
> gcc version 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5566)
>
>
> M [40]: uname -a
>
> Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Wed Jul 15 16:55:01 PDT 2009;
>
> root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
>
>
>
> ___________________________________
>
> Scott B. Baden, Professor
>
> Computer Science and Engineering Department
>
> University of California, San Diego
>
> http://*www-cse.ucsd.edu/~baden
>
> --
>
> List subscription information:
>
> https://*email.ornl.gov/mailman/listinfo/visit-users
>
> Searchable list archives: https://*email.ornl.gov/pipermail/visit-users
>
> VisIt Users Wiki: http://*visitusers.org/
>
> Frequently Asked Questions for VisIt: http://*visit.llnl.gov/FAQ.html
>
>
> --
>
> ======================================================================
>
> Brad Whitlock                   Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
>
> whitlock2 at llnl.gov
>
> (925)424-2614
>
> ======================================================================
>
> --
>
> List subscription information:
>
> https://email.ornl.gov/mailman/listinfo/visit-users
>
> Searchable list archives: https://email.ornl.gov/pipermail/visit-users
>
> VisIt Users Wiki: http://visitusers.org/
>
> Frequently Asked Questions for VisIt: http://visit.llnl.gov/FAQ.html
>
>
> ___________________________________
>
> Scott B. Baden, Professor
>
> Computer Science and Engineering Department
>
> University of California, San Diego
>
> http://www-cse.ucsd.edu/~baden
>
> --
>
> List subscription information:
>
> https://email.ornl.gov/mailman/listinfo/visit-users
>
> Searchable list archives: https://email.ornl.gov/pipermail/visit-users
>
> VisIt Users Wiki: http://visitusers.org/
>
> Frequently Asked Questions for VisIt: http://visit.llnl.gov/FAQ.html
>
>
> --
> List subscription information:
> https://email.ornl.gov/mailman/listinfo/visit-users
> Searchable list archives: https://email.ornl.gov/pipermail/visit-users
> VisIt Users Wiki: http://visitusers.org/
> Frequently Asked Questions for VisIt: http://visit.llnl.gov/FAQ.html
>
>
> ___________________________________
>
> Scott B. Baden, Professor
> Computer Science and Engineering Department
> University of California, San Diego
> http://www-cse.ucsd.edu/~baden
>
>
> --
> List subscription information:
> https://email.ornl.gov/mailman/listinfo/visit-users
> Searchable list archives: https://email.ornl.gov/pipermail/visit-users
> VisIt Users Wiki: http://visitusers.org/
> Frequently Asked Questions for VisIt: http://visit.llnl.gov/FAQ.html
>
>
>


More information about the visit-users mailing list