[visit-users] VisIt fails while creating a movie.mpeg

Hank Childs hankchilds at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 10:08:30 EST 2010

Hi Iro,

So I note that you are encoding with ffmpeg.  We do not distribute
ffmpeg with VisIt because we are not compatible with its license.
That said, it is a great encoder, and we try to use it when available.

So I see a few options:
1) take ffmpeg out of your path and use VisIt's encoder.  (Note that
in VisIt version 1.12, we made this easier by adding a "-noffmpeg"
flag)
2) save out image files and then invoke ffmpeg yourself on the images.
3) upgrade to VisIt 1.12.  I suspect your problem is that 1.11 is old
enough that it uses an old syntax to invoke ffmpeg.  VisIt 1.12 uses a
newer syntax.
4) Hack up VisIt1.11 to use the new syntax.  See description below

Best,
Hank

Hack up the VisIt code:
Go to /path/to/visit/1.11.2/<platform>/bin/makemovie.py
and change the line:
              command = "ffmpeg -f image2 -i %s -mbd rd -flags
+mv4+aic -trellis 1 -flags qprd -bf 2 -cmp 2 -g 25 -pass 1 -y -b %s
%s\n" % (framePattern, bitrate, absMovieName)

to be:
                command = "ffmpeg -f image2 -i %s -mbd rd -flags
+4mv+trell+aic -flags qprd -bf 2 -cmp 2 -g 25 -pass 1 -y -b %s %s\n" %