[visit-users] Parallel engine quits every 10 or so frames while rendering animation movie

Simon Su newsgroup4ssu at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 13:47:58 EDT 2009

Hi Brad,

It appears the walltime was exceeded from the log. I used the default
walltime of 480 minutes while setting up the host profile. Maybe pbs is
doing it differently?

  1. Which version of VisIt?

visit 1.11.0

>  2. Are you just doing a movie of your entropy variable

yes

>  3. How is that variable stored in the VTK file? float?

double

>  4. How large is your mesh? I'm assuming it's 1 domain since you're using
> VTK. If it's

 1 domain, you won't see any parallel benefits.

Not sure what you mean here.
https://casper.princeton.edu/velocity-entropy_0001.zip is a copy of the data
file and I have about 1500+ of those for each simulation.

One other thing to note is, on system that I am not using qsub, and just
mpirun, it works.

Thank you

Simon

> Brad
>

> Hi All,
>
> I am wondering what might the problem be.  I am running visit on a local
> linux machine with compute engine running on the cluster. Both are running
> the same version of VisIT. However, every 10 frames (some time it runs
> longer ... some time it runs shorter) or so (about 1 min more or less), I
> will get this message
>

> VisIt: Error - The compute engine running on artemis.princeton.edu has
> exited abnormally.
> VisIt: Error - The Pseudocolor plot of "entropy" for the file
> "/home/simonsu/tigress-hsm/projects/ab/vulcan/20090408/low_res_xheat_2/velocityvector/velocity-entropy-vtk/velocity-entropy_*.vtk
> database" could not be generated by the compute engine on host "
> artemis.princeton.edu".
> There was an error when trying to set the time slider state to 310. VisIt
> will now try to redraw the plots.
> VisIt: Message - Rendering window 1...
>

> The wall clock is set to 4 hours (the default setting).  And in the
> parallel option, I am using qsub/mpirun option. And I am tunneling the data
> back via ssh.
>

> Then I have to click on the menu that pops up to restart the compute engine
> to continue rendering the movie.
>

> Any help is much appreciated.
>

> Thanks
>

> Simon