[visit-users] BASH issue

Mark Miller miller86 at llnl.gov
Thu Apr 9 13:01:35 EDT 2009

So, you've probably alread fixed via Brad's recommendation but I thought
I would make one additional thing clear...

The reason I ran into this similar issue is that I relied upon system
dot files to define 'common' paths such as /usr/local/bin. My personal
dot files were used only to 'extend' my path beyond what the system dot
files provided. Next, my default dot files (also setup by sys admins)
had logic which resulted in different outcomes on the basis of whether
the login shell was 'interactive' or not. So did the system's dot files.
All this combined to result in very similar behaviors that you are
reporting; e.g. command not found via ssh remote execution and changing
user's dot files having no effect. It took a while to get desired
behavior.

Mark