[visit-users] BASH issue

Rick Angelini angel at arl.army.mil
Thu Apr 9 12:09:22 EDT 2009

This is not specifically a problem with Visit, but more related to the
user environment.   I have  a customer who is using BASH as their login
shell.    When the user sits on their local workstation and tries to
fire up Visit to a remote cluster,  we keep getting a message that
"visit cannot be found" on the remote connection.   I'm not a bash user
and we don't have many folks around here who use bash, so maybe someone
on the list has an idea on how to get this to work ....

After some debugging, I discovered that bash apparently doesn't execute
the local dot files when invoked from SSH, therefore, there seems to be
no way to set up a local environment.   If the user logs in directly to
the remote node, all of the appropriate dot files are executed, and
visit is in his path.    So, for instance,

 > ssh cluster-login1
$ which visit
/usr/local/bin/visit       (WORKS!)

 > ssh cluster-login1 which visit
visit: command not found  (FAILS!)

Obviously, to make things work the way we want them, we need to be able
to get the second command to work.  Is there some (known) magic to make
this work?      It works just fine with TCSH/CSH, but the user isn't
willing to change shells!    8-)

Thanks