[visit-users] Trying the Simulation mode with 1.11.2

brad at visitusers.org brad at visitusers.org
Mon Apr 6 18:43:38 EDT 2009

Hi Olivier,
    The simulation controls worked when the example programs were
written. Since then, features were added to support dynamically loaded
simulation UI's and that broke the simple simulation controls, at least
for the C example programs. The command string being sent to the
simulation is not of the simple form: "step", "run", "halt" as it was
originally. Instead, the command is decorated with a bunch of Qt stuff.
The example simulations no longer respond because they are expecting the
simple commands and not the decorated commands. I remember adding some
code to the Fortran libsim interface that extracts the proper command
string and passes it down to the simulation's command callback. You
might try one of the example Fortran example simulations.

I've been doing a lot of libsim enhancements recently and I've corrected
the command callbacks so the original commands are passed into the
command callback function in the simulation. This lets the simulation
example programs work again with respect to the controls in the
Simulation window but the work is geared towards VisIt 2.0 and is not
currently available unless you have access to the VisIt SVN repository.

I hope this answers your question.

Brad