[visit-users] VisIt expressions: min/max on mesh?

Brad Whitlock whitlock2 at llnl.gov
Mon Apr 6 14:17:33 EDT 2009

Matt,
    Expressions and Queries aren't currently compatible like that.
We've long wanted to be able to include query results in expressions
but we haven't implemented it yet. For this case it doesn't seem to
hard. Currently, the only "automated" way that I can think of doing
it is to use Python scripting:

AddPlot("Pseudocolor", "X")
DrawPlots()
Query("Min")
val = GetQueryOutputValue()
DefineScalarExpression("AGL", "X - %g" % val)
ChangeActivePlotsVar("AGL")

Of course, this method is not ideal since the "min" value won't be
reevaluated for different time states, etc. You'd have to keep
changing the expression definition to do that.

Brad

>I would like to shift a scalar variable in VisIt using an expression:
>
>   AGL = X - min(X)
>
>unfortunately, min() appears to operate on two scalars rather than the mesh?
>

>Thanks,
>Matt
>
>This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and
>are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
>they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please
>notify the sender.
>Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are
>solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of
>ITT Corporation. The recipient should check this e-mail and any
>attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability
>for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.
>--

Brad Whitlock                   Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
whitlock2 at llnl.gov
(925)424-2614