[visit-users] Trying the Simulation mode with 1.11.2

Brad Whitlock whitlock2 at llnl.gov
Mon Apr 6 13:41:54 EDT 2009

Olivier,
    I assume you're still talking about fsim9. The
fsim9 example is part of a series of examples
that incrementally show how to instrument the
simulation. None of the sim of fsim examples
result in a simulation that can serve up data! In
this case, only the metadata is present in the
simulation. Trying to plot anything from that
simulation will result in the error messages that
you've encountered because the data access
functions for returning meshes and variables are
empty! The simulations that can serve up data
implement data access functions and they come
after the sim and fsim examples.

I think in a future VisIt release, I will change
all of the incomplete examples so they print a
very explicit message at startup that indicates
they are incomplete and then exit. I build them
to make sure that they still compile so I won't
at any point put non-working example code into
the "Getting Data Into VisIt" manual. Maybe I'll
move them into another directory too to avoid
this type of confusion in the future.

Brad

>Hello,
>
>Great, it does not crash any longer but when trying to plot the meshes,
>I get the following errors in Information popup window:
><<
>Mesh:  ()
>viewer: An invalid variable (mesh3d) was specified.
>
>Shortly thereafter, the following occured...
>
>Mesh:  ()
>viewer: An invalid variable (mesh2d) was specified.
>>>
>Any idea ?
>
>Thank you.
>
>Olivier Cessenat.
>
>Le lundi 06 avril 2009 à 09:47 -0700, Brad Whitlock a écrit :
>>  I was able to reproduce the crash. It's due to a flaw in the fortran
>>  libsim interface where some functions are being called to register
>>  some internal callback functions even though the
>>  visitattemptconnection is failing. The library should not be trying
>>  to call the functions that set callbacks unless the connection
>>  succeeded. I will fix this.
>>
>>  I was able to work around the problem by explicitly setting
>>  LD_LIBRARY_PATH and VISITPLUGINDIR on the sim command line. I almost
>>  always do this anyway since I tend to need to run against specific
>>  versions of VisIt while developing libsim.
>>
>>  env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/visit/1.11.2/linux-x86_64/lib
>>  VISITPLUGINDIR=/path/to/visit/1.11.2/linux-x86_64/plugins ./fsim9
>>    Simulating time step: cycle= 11 time=  4.59163468E-41
>>    VisIt connected!
>>    Simulating time step: cycle= 12 time=  4.59163468E-41
>>
>>  I recommend setting the 2 environment
>>variables before running the simulation.
>>
>>  Brad
>>

>>  >[cessenat at myhost Simulations]$ fsim9
>>  >  Simulating time step: cycle=          17  time=  4.5916347E-41
>>  >Segmentation fault
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >[cessenat at iliana Simulations]$  ./updateplots
>>  >command> VisIt did not connect
>>  >>>
>>  >
>>  >Any idea of what is wrong ?
>>  >I managed to read a simple silo file and plot.
>>  >
>>  >Sincerely,
>>  >
>>  >Olivier Cessenat.
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >--
>>  >List subscription information: https://
>>  >email.ornl.gov/mailman/listinfo/visit-users
>>  >Searchable list archives: https://  email.ornl.gov/pipermail/visit-users
>>  >VisIt Users Wiki: http://  visitusers.org/
>>  >Frequently Asked Questions for VisIt: http://  visit.llnl.gov/FAQ.html
>>

>--
>>Frequently Asked Questions for VisIt: http:// visit.llnl.gov/FAQ.html

Brad Whitlock                   Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
whitlock2 at llnl.gov
(925)424-2614