[visit-users] Getting ascii data into visIT

Steffen Brinckmann steffen at caltech.edu
Mon Apr 6 13:07:54 EDT 2009

Thanks for all the replies,
I went along Brad's suggestion and adopted the Tecplot file and got it
to work.

What VisIt reads:
TITLE="FEM results"
VARIABLES = X, Y, U, V, SIGXX, SIGYY, SIGXY
Zone N=688, E=1292, F=FEPOINT, ET=TRIANGLE

What VisIt does not read:
TITLE='FEM results'
VARIABLES = X, Y, U, V, SIGXX, SIGYY, SIGXY
Zone I=688, J=1292, F=FEPOINT, ET=TRIANGLE

Both changes: the number of quotation signs ' -> "
and the names for nodes/elements "I,J" -> "N,E"
are necessary.

Thanks again for the fast replies,
Steffen

The 3D points should also work but they don't include the connectivity
the tecplot format includes.