[visit-developers] setting members of GlobalAttributes()

Brad Whitlock bjw at ilight.com
Wed Jul 29 13:16:16 EDT 2015

As far as a VisIt client is concerned, GlobalAttributes is mainly a
read-only state object that represents some state from VisIt.
GlobalAttributes are used in the GUI to show VisIt state such as how many
windows there, etc. Other actions typically cause changes to viewer state
and the viewer sends GlobalAttributes out so the clients can show changes
to VisIt state. For example, we execute a ViewerMethod that causes
something to happen in the viewer and it updates the GlobalAttributes and
tells the clients.

The regular CLI does not have any control over the windows of the GUI. It
sounds like you may want to write a PySide application. PySide applications
can be run in a CLI mode that does include some GUI plot and operator
windows that you can somewhat control.

Expanding plots in the GUI is handled via ViewerMethods::SetActivePlots,
which can take 2 optional vectors for the active operators, and whether a
plot is expanded or not. The Python wrapper for SetActivePlots in the CLI
does not expose this capability to the user and would need to be enhanced
if you want to expand plots from the CLI.

HTH,
Brad