[visit-developers] database file open - pointing to a directory

Brad Whitlock bjw at ilight.com
Fri Jul 17 16:07:30 EDT 2015

Hi Allen,
   I think there are 3-4 file formats that would like to open directories
instead of files. Ultimately it's all just a path so as long as the reader
knows that and can deal with it then it probably is just a GUI (& maybe
mdserver) limitation. Since our file dialog has a list view for directories
and a list view for files, some slight changes will be needed. Since most
file formats cannot open a directory, selecting a file in the file list
seems like the best default behavior and does not change things. Maybe if
you switch the "Open file as type" format to a reader that can open
directories, making a selection from the directory list could be a valid
behavior. Of course, file formats would need a new method for advertising
that they can open directories. Also, it might make sense to disable the
file list view in that case so it's not ambiguous which list view's
selection is being used to select a "file".

If the code in question stores results to a directory, I assume that there
are N directories for different time states. Are you going to want file
grouping then for directories? That causes bigger changes.

Brad