[visit-developers] Feature request: Transparent image output (with alpha channel) when saving image

Harrison, Cyrus D. harrison37 at llnl.gov
Tue Jul 14 22:00:50 EDT 2015

Hi Amit,

I agree this would be a great improvement, I added an issue to our tracker:

hxxp://visitbugs.ornl.gov/issues/2339

-Cyrus

On Jul 11, 2015, at 1:34 PM, Chourasia, Amit <amit at sdsc.edu<mailto:amit at sdsc.edu>> wrote:

Hello,

It would be great if VisIt could output transparent images with alpha channel. Please consider supporting transparent output in PNG format instead of adding  support to all formats like tiff, etc.

While the python difference workaround<hxxp://www.visitusers.org/index.php?title=Extracting_alpha> could be useful sometimes. It is not really possible to incur the cost of rendering twice just for the sake of generating a transparent image. This is especially true with raycasting or anything with larger dataset, which have expensive render times to begin with.

Thanks
-Amit

Share, Collaborate & Automate.
Scientific data sharing made easy at SeedMe.org<hxxp://www.seedme.org/>