[visit-developers] Question on plots

Dave Pugmire pugmire at ornl.gov
Tue May 26 11:35:39 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I have a basic question on plots.

I'm trying to optimize the performance of the poincare plot by doing the
minimal set of filter updates. There are two things that can change:
1- The streamlines
2- Analysis parameters of the streamlines

There are two filters, streamline and poincare. I only want to execute
the minimal set.

A few questions:
I have added the attribute method: ChangesRequireRecalculation().  This
returns true if either the streamline or the analysis needs to be
recalculated.
However, if I return true, it seems to delete the plot's filters and re
executes the entire plot. And so I lose my cached streamlines.

If I return false, SetAtts() is called but no filters get executed.

Am I going about this the right way?
Is there another plot that is similar that I can follow?

Thanks,
Dave