[visit-developers] modify the Box operator attributes in the avtBoxFilter

Hank Childs hankchilds at yahoo.com
Mon May 18 07:17:54 EDT 2009

Hi Zhigao,

Looks like you have done some digging in the code!

Part of the problem is that VisIt's GUI won't consistently have the information of what the spatial extents are before it starts doing "real work".  That is, for some file formats, we won't know the spatial extents until all of the data has been read by the parallel server.

I think CopyAttributes and CreateCompatible won't help this issue.

I think the best solution is the following:
You extend the Box operator to use "percentages", i.e. the Box goes between 10% and 30% in X, etc.  That way the actual extents don't need to be known in the user interface.  If you want to go down this path, feel free to send me some emails.

(Also, just to make sure: this issue can be frustrating because if you apply the box operator to an existing plot, then VisIt will reexecute that plot.  Did you know that you could bring up the attributes window and modify them to have the box you want and then the first execution will use your attributes?)

Best,
Hank