[visit-developers] help with interface to test results

Mark Miller miller86 at llnl.gov
Thu May 7 15:04:24 EDT 2009

Hi All,

Ok, I am really lacking in my knowledge of how web apps work. I
understand browsing something like
"file:///alderaan.llnl.gov/visit/index.html" where a bunch of statically
created and linked HTML files are visible. Thats basically what we
currently do.

I'd like to have a place anyone can go to look at test suite results
from previous night, week, month, etc. I like people's suggestion of
making a 'database' of test results and I think I can figure out how to
do that. But, the part I don't understand is how I make a web interface
to this 'stuff'. I assume I'll be spending the bulk of coding on a
'server' that will stand between developers and the test results
database serving up stuff to you as you 'browse' it. I assume I cannot
do this reasonably without coding a 'server'. Is that correct? I mean I
can't or shouldn't do this as an 'applet' (I don't really know that that
is) that runs in the client browser. I am thinking of using web.py to
build the server.

Am I at least on the right track here?

Mark C. Miller, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
email: mailto:miller86 at llnl.gov
(M/T/W) (925)-423-5901 (!!LLNL BUSINESS ONLY!!)
(Th/F)  (530)-753-8511 (!!LLNL BUSINESS ONLY!!)