[visit-developers] Anonymous SVN?

tom fogal tfogal at alumni.unh.edu
Mon May 4 15:55:57 EDT 2009

Mark Miller <miller86 at llnl.gov> writes:
> in my experience, the people there [at NERSC] are busy enough that
> I feel I've had to pester to make whatever progress we've actually
> made. I was actually concerned I was maybe 'getting on their bad
> side' and so backed way off waiting for a response.

Pestering them today got a response.

They're having issues with the setup they wanted to give us.  I
was asked if our existing setup, plus a repository which would be
anonymously accessible (RO), would be acceptable for us.

I replied with a `maybe' and asked these questions:

  * RO-webdav wouldn't require authentication, right?  The big thing is
    not having to send an email / fax something in to NERSC just to get
    our source.  That is, 0 actual humans involved for this case.

  * Does webdav allow web access, such that I could point to a URL in
    an email and say, `look at line 1282'?

  * How often can they by synched (a few times a day or more?)

  * This would be a hot copy, right -- no shutting down our main repo?

  * What does the process look like for someone `upgrading' from
    anonymous to full-fledged user?  Is an svn switch going to work?

If you've got other concerns, please speak up.

-tom