[visit-developers] $$ORIGIN in rpath directive to linker

tom fogal tfogal at alumni.unh.edu
Tue Oct 21 10:52:42 EDT 2008

Mark Miller <miller86 at llnl.gov> writes:
> I've noticed that we are getting --rpath
> directives when linking .so's and executables that include a reference
> to a (shell) variable $ORIGIN as in...

It has been like this since mid/late summer.  Gunther needed to make
the change so that VisIt worked well on a NERSC system (franklin?),
though I needed it for something I can't remember at the time, too.

[snip]
> What puzzles me is I don't see anywhere where ORIGIN is set to some
> value. Also, is it truly a shell variable, or a make variable?

It is a special linker variable, not a shell or make variable.  It
means, `the path the binary is in', and thus isn't set until
load-time.

HTH,

-tom