[visit-developers] BoxLib fortran compiler

tom fogal tfogal at sci.utah.edu
Mon Oct 6 19:01:30 EDT 2008

Oops.  Forgot to CC the list ..

------- Forwarded Message

From: tom fogal <tfogal at alumni.unh.edu>
To: Mark Miller <miller86 at llnl.gov>
Subject: Re: [visit-developers] BoxLib fortran compiler
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 16:17:33 -0600

Mark Miller <miller86 at llnl.gov> writes:

> Any way to make the code that invokes 'gfortran' in build_visit
> conditional on the version of the compiler or, alternatively, if g77
> does not exist and gfortran does, use the latter?

Okay.  I'll see if I can split the fPIC into a separate patch, and
only apply the g77->gfortran part if ! test -x g77.

> I think -fPIC is needed when building any .o's that are later going to
> be archived into a .a file and then used to build shared objects. I am
> surprised you are just hitthing this now. First time using boxlib?

Basically.  I think I've tried to enable it every time I've built VisIt
since .. well, a long while ago.  I always spend 10 minutes before I
decide I don't use BoxLib so I don't need it anyway ... it finally
grated on me enough that I decided it needed fixing.

Plus I think I've got some BoxLib data I'll want to load up in the
next month or two ...

-tom

------- End of Forwarded Message