[ucx-group] UCX support added to OpenMPI

George Bosilca bosilca at icl.utk.edu
Wed Oct 21 12:14:32 EDT 2015

Howard,

I am a little bit concerned about your statement. From
a community perspective (and I'm also sure that this is covered by our by
laws) as the 2.0 release is still in infancy (basically not released yet),
there is absolutely no way to prevent one of the project contributors from
brining their contribution in. Obviously, this only holds as long as no
technical issue is on the way.

This brings me to my question: Why a low priority at 5 ? I know we have an
ongoing discussion on the OMPI mailing list regarding the selection logic,
but UCX is not the root of the problem. Thus no conditions should be
attached to the acceptance of the UCX support in OMPI 2.x. Moreover, if
Mellanox decide to promote UCX PML instead of the MXM, they should be
allowed to handle the priority of their components the way they want (of
course the community will appreciate any heads-up).

Thanks,
  George.

PS: The above does not apply to any already released version of the code.