[c3-users] Unable to construct an c3.conf containing indirect cluster

Thomas Naughton naughtont at ornl.gov
Fri Mar 28 10:53:41 EDT 2008

Hey,

Ok, my memory has been dusted off a bit now -- c3.conf man page was somewhat
helpful after *full* re-read.

The indirect clusters can reference other clusters, however, they do not
reference the c3.conf "block view" of the cluster, i.e., the internal block
names 'cluster db_servers' & 'cluster app_servers'.  Instead, they just
reference the nodes (headnode, optionally the compute nodes behind that
node), etc.

The circular issue to avoid comes from the fact that when cluster xtorc
references cluster fooTorc via an indirect block, if the config on fooTorc
again indirectly references xtorc, you'll loop.

So, I just tested a few things and feel reasonably confident from the
testing (didn't read code) that we're not doing exactly what he wants from
within the config file itself.  But you can reference the blocks from the
commandline in the machine defs area,

     $ cexec  db_servers: app_servers:   hostname

Or you can use the '--all' option to execute on all nodes on all clusters
in the config file (ignoring the cmdline machine defs).

Wow, I hope that made some since.

--tjn

PS  I'm Cc'ing the c3-users list with this info (just my response) to have
     an archive of the notes.

   Thomas Naughton                                      naughtont at ornl.gov
   Research Associate                                   (865) 576-4184